- 2023 Benefits
- Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority - 2023
- Wellness 2023
- Featured Wellbeing Campaigns 2023
Featured Wellbeing Campaigns 2023
Spending time in the sun can be a lot of fun, but there are some risks to being outside. The following tips, tools and resources can help you ensure a Fun, Safe, and Healthy June!
This month's Featured On Demand Courses:
If you are interested in learning more about the connection between water, hydration, and health, explore this month's Hydration Awareness course!
This Easy Ways to Connect With Nature & Improve Health course focuses on how nature positively affects our physical and mental state and how nature improves your mood.
Safe & Healthy Summer Tools, Tips and Resources
General Summer Health and Safety Information
- Test your summer safety knowledge with this brief Online Quiz: Am I Safe in the Summer? Review these 10 Summer Safety Tips to learn more.
- Ways to Stay Safe in the Sun
- Spending time in the sun and participating in outdoor activities can be a lot of fun, but there are some risks to being outside during this time of year. Read more
- Make the most of summer vacation
Move More and Sit Less This Summer
Get at least 150 minutes of aerobic physical activity each week. Physical activity has immediate benefits for your health: better sleep and reduced anxiety are two.
- This Easy Ways to Connect With Nature & Improve Health course focuses on how nature positively affects our physical and mental state and how nature improves your mood.
- How much should you aim to move every day? It's not a one size fits all answer. There is now guidance to fit the needs of individuals from age 3 years and older to reduce sitting, increase movement, and improve overall health. See below for information on how much we should move every day from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Click here for Physical Activity Recommendations for Different Age Groups.
- When the temperature goes up in the summer months, exercising outside can become challenging. Even heat-loving, sun-seeking exercisers can become overheated when the sun is beaming down in the heat of the day. Read more on how to stay active in warm weather.
- Understand ways in which walking can provide stress relief and how to maximize the benefits of walking in nature. Explore the Walking for Mental Health recorded webinar.
- Exposure to heat can cause illness and death if your body can’t compensate for it and find balance. Take measures to stay cool, hydrated, and informed. Learn more here
- Learn ways to protect yourself and others and first aid for heat illness. Learn more here
- Heat Safety Tool App - The OSHA-NIOSH Heat Safety Tool is a useful resource for planning outdoor activities based on how hot it feels throughout the day.
- Hydration Awareness On Demand course
LIVE Heat Safety Webinars: Anyone can be at risk for a heat-related illness. Staying hydrated, being mindful of heat-related symptoms, and doing labor intensive work at the beginning of the day to avoid peak heat of the day are a few examples of how you can stay safe this summer. Learn more tips with us during our upcoming webinar co-hosted by Heather Johnson and Suzy Weigle. Suzy is the City of Norfolk’s Safety Officer who manages occupational safety and health for the City of Norfolk.
Join us for one of the Beat the Heat - How to Have a Safe and Healthy Summer webinars:
- Tuesday, June 6 - Noon to 1PM Register here
- Tuesday, June 13 - 8:30AM-9:30AM Register here
- Tuesday, June 20 - 3:30PM-4:30PM Register here
Hydration and Nutrition
Choose your drinks wisely. Drink water (fluoridated tap or unsweetened bottled or sparkling) instead of sugary or alcoholic drinks to reduce calories and stay safe. Add slices of fruit to water for a refreshing, low-calorie drink. Eating healthy foods, fruits and veggies to make any summer meal healthier. Healthy eating supports muscles, strengthens bones, and boosts immunity.
- If you are interested in learning more about the connection between water, hydration, and health, explore the Hydration Awareness course!
- If you are interested in learning more about eating right and vitamins, minerals and nutrients, explore the Nutrition Awareness course.
- Colorful, delicious and nutritious foods help keep our bodies and minds healthier, longer. Click here to learn more.
Preventing Skin Cancer
Skin cancer is the most common of all cancer types. More than 5 million skin cancers are diagnosed each year in the United States. Learn what you can do to protect yourself and your family from skin cancer. Read more
Skin Cancer Screenings (Resources for Anthem Medical Plan Participants (copays may apply)
Stay a step ahead of cancer with a skin cancer screening. To find a doctor in the Anthem network login into anthem.com or call 1-833-988-2030. Find care in your plan's network. How to choose the best care options for your needs.
Click on the image below to learn more in the Anthem skin cancer flyer:
(Resources for Anthem Medical Plan Participants (copays may apply)
Regular checkups and exams can help you stay healthy and catch problems early, when they are easier to treat. All employees enrolled in the Anthem medical plan have the opportunity to earn the health insurance premium reduction by completing the healthy activities. Participation in this program is optional. Visit your Live Well Rewards page for more information on this program. Deadline for completion is 8/31/2023 to be eligible for the premium credit reduction the following year. Rewards Credit Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Preventive care includes: Physical exams, Colorectal exams, Well woman visits, Mammograms, Immunizations
To find a doctor in the Anthem network login into anthem.com or call 1-833-988-2030. Find care in your plan's network. How to choose the best care options for your needs.
Insight Timer Features
Have you tried Insight Timer? Insight Timer is a top mindfulness platform designed to help people learn to calm the mind, reduce anxiety, manage stress, sleep deeply, and improve mental and physical health and wellbeing. Free Premium Access for employees of the City of Norfolk, Norfolk Public Schools and Norfolk Redevelopment & Housing Authority! View this month's features:
This Summer Solstice meditation welcomes in the new, revitalizing energy of the summer season. Preparing for and understanding the difference in energy as we shift from one season to the next. This meditation invites you to imagine your perfect summer day.
10-Day Summer Slowdown – through easy, heartfelt and conversational teachings, learn to connect deeply with the summer season and see it as an invitation to slowdown and relax as you expand and explore your inner and outer world through summer slowdown.
Get Insight Timer (app or web)
Download the app:
1. Download the free Insight Timer app and create an account with your work email address.
2. Register your work email using the profile icon on the top right corner of your screen.
3. Verify your work email and then gain full PREMIUM access to Insight Timer @ Work.
- Watch the Insight Timer App Tutorial
- Get started with the Step-by-step instructions for app or web
Access via the web:
1. Go to www.insighttimer.com
2. Click Get Started (top right corner) to create your free account.
3. Enter your workplace email address and follow the prompts to verify your account.
Get started with the Step-by-step instructions for app or web